As I have mentioned many times before, the dining scene in St. George, Utah is kind of grim. But we are pretty intrepid eaters and we are always hopeful that something good will turn up. Plus I am sick of cooking. And since Ryan and Jon are visiting, I thought dinner out would be a good idea. Oh, Marymom, will you ever learn?! Mexican food seemed a good bet. There are lots of Mexican restaurants in St. George and I had heard good things about CafÃ© Rio. It probably is good but when we walked in it was crowded AND cafeteria style. This was not in my plan so we opted for a different restaurant. Don Joseâ€™s had an advertisement for fish tacos, one of my favorites, so we decided to give it a try.
What was wrong with Don Joseâ€™s? Let me count the blunders.
1. Only one basket of chips and salsa is complimentary.
2. No beer, margaritas or any alcoholic drinks.
3. No customers and a buffet that is languishing.
4. Bland salsa.
5. Way too sweet horchatas. ( although free refills)
6. Chicken mole with unpleasant bitterness.
7. Tamale with weird sweet sauce and tough masa.
8. Fish taco with sandy-breaded, overcooked fried fish.
9. Carnitas that were large, fatty chunks, cooked only once.
The rice and beans were good. And the silliest thing on the menu was the dish labeled â€œCarnitaâ€™s Platter.â€ We kept wondering if Carnita was back in the kitchen.
Looking for Mexican food in St. George? Look further.
Jonâ€™s Grade â€“ C-
Ryanâ€™s Grade â€“ C-
Maryâ€™s Grade â€“ C-
Johnâ€™s Grade – D